Certificate in Horse Care
Take a ride to the top of the class with better equine empathyThis horse care certificate provides you with essential knowledge about horse care basics, what factors should be considered when looking for the right equine companion, and the basic elements of conformation terminology. Learn about horse nutrition, hoof care, and setting up an equine care business. Discover what constitutes whole farm planning, understand the survival mechanisms of early horses, and explore how to apply horse grooming techniques for optimum health. Enrol in our horse care certificate and plan a future that excites you.
100% Online Delivery
Get instant access
Plus receive unlimited tutor support via phone & email from experienced professionals.
Study at your own pace – students generally complete one module per-week. See our free course guide for detailed duration information.
Get qualified & Earn More
Gain unparalleled insight
Be awarded with a certificate of achievement on completion of this course.
Investment & Payment
- Learn about temperament & weight-carrying ability before you buy a horse
- Study financial management ahead of starting an equine care business
- Ideal for horse owners or those already working with horses
- Discover the commercial possibilities of horse ownership
- Understand breeding, competition, and farm business structures
- Develop appropriate procedures around horse care basics
- Learn to pinpoint the conformation of horses on a property/facility
- The early horse
- Survival mechanisms of the early horse
- The modern horse – behaviour and memory
- Using psychology to handle horses
- Catching and leading horses
- Fitting the bridle and saddle
- Tying up a horse
- Safety rules
- Weight carrying ability
- Equine dentition and ageing
- Glossary of terms
- Dentition diagrams and detailed explanation
- Colour and markings
- The shape of the skeleton
- Body proportions and parts
- Conformation problems
- How to describe confirmation
- The digestive System
- The alimentary canal
- The Stomach
- The small intestine
- The large intestine
- Absorption of food
- Groups of food nutrients
- The composition of some common horse feeds
- The principles of watering
- The principles of feeding
- Feeding concentrates and roughages
- Feeding groups of horses at one time
- Advantages and disadvantages of working off grass
- Paddock size and minimum area needed
- Types of fencing
- The water supply
- Fodder trees
- General management of the grass-kept horse
- Management in summer
- Management in winter
- Grooming the grass-kept horse
- Conservation of the land
- Keeping horses at grass on small areas
- Roughing off and turning a horse out
- The skin – epidermis, dermis, the coat
- How the skin regulates body temperature
- Reasons for grooming
- Grooming tools
- Grooming techniques – strapping, sponging, brushing
- Using a stable rubber, dealing with stable stains on grey coats
- Oiling the feet
- Setting Fair/Brushing off
- Washing the mane and tail
- Washing the sheath
- Shampooing the horse
- Writing resumes – employment readiness
- Competition horses (overview) – event horse, dressage horse, show jumper, endurance
- Educating Horses
- Farm planning
- Short term operations
- Farm business structures
- Quality management systems
- Whole farm planning
- Preparing a farm business
- Managing risk
- Sensitivity analysis
- Financial management
- Record keeping
- Finance sources
- Setting up a small business
PAYMENT PLAN FROM $25 PER WEEK
PAY IN FULL AND SAVE $200
Pay your course fees upfront and benefit from a $200 discount, with a 10 business day money-back guarantee.
Why The Career Academy?
We're an internationally recognised online education provider, who partners with industry to deliver you the latest and most up to date content. We have almost 15 years experience in online education and help change the lives of over 20,000 students every single year.
- Upskill and be awarded with a certificate of achievement to help you reach your potential & earn more.
- Flexible online learning so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
- Get free access to the career centre who will review and improve your CV to help you succeed.
- 83% of our graduates say our qualifications improved their ability to get a new job or promotion.
Be awarded with an industry recognised certificate
Upon successful completion of your course, you’ll be presented with a Professional Certificate by The Career Academy. This an industry recognised certificate which will go a long way to helping you get a new job or promotion. You’ll also be given access to our exclusive Career Centre and be eligible for a free CV Review.
This course costs $795 + GST or only $25 per week on a no-deposit, interest-free payment plan. Click here to get started now.
This course takes approximately 70 hours, and you’ll have up to 6 months to complete. Study in your own time, at your own pace. Most of The Career Academy courses are designed so that you do one module a week, but if life gets busy, you can apply for a course extension if you need more time.
Upon completing this course, you could obtain work in the equine industry.
Contact a friendly student advisor on 1800 837 550 to learn about potential career outcomes and where our courses could take you. Employers often approach The Career Academy looking for students and advertise jobs in our Career Centre, which you can access once enrolled. You’ll also receive a FREE CV review.
Your course is delivered through our online learning platform, which you can access from any web browser 24/7 to work whenever and wherever you want. You can also interact with your tutors and other students within the learning environment. Online learning allows you to make the best use of your time and puts all the necessary resources at your fingertips. There are no set course start dates; you can start whenever you are ready, and your tutors and student services will check in on your progress and help you every step of the way.
Watch this video to see how online learning works:
Absolutely! You’ve got an 10-day cooling-off period (trial period) at the start of your course. Take that time to review all your learning material and get a feel for online learning. If you decide the course isn’t for you within the trial period, you’ll get a full money-back guarantee*.
A Certificate in Horse care is a great way to break into the equine industry or learn how to care for your horse properly. Horse carers may work with event horses, dressage horses, show jumpers, or working horses on farms.